Wednesday 4 January 2012

Creative Typography_Design Tips

For any Graphic Designer, typography can a daunting subject if they are not familiar with the principles of typography even at a basic level.  I personally had an ongoing battle with typography in my less experienced years in design.  How do you choose the right font? And all fonts look the same !  Those were primarily my negative thoughts.  However with age and experience I am personally getting to grips with typography. I see typography as a more skeletal structure of your design now, because its not visually pleasing as an image, typography can often be neglected.

In this blog I'd like to share with you a basic understanding of using type creatively from my personal experiences.  This isn't a full detailed and outlined course on typography looking at the anatomy, hierachy, composition of typography. This post is a more of a playful experiment in using type creatively. 

Creative Experiment:

My quick typographic experiment


For this quick experiement, I wanted to challenge myself to use creative typography to describe mathematical formation with a simple element in relation to each formation.

DIVIDE: Simply cutting the letter 'V' in half and tinting 1 half red, I created the forward slash to represent 'DIVIDE'.

NEGATIVE: Reducing the space from each letter to the next, a tight and condensed letter kerning reflected negative a 'NEGATIVE' feel.

EQUAL: By seperating the 3 horizontal bars on the 'E' and tinting 2 bars red, a simple = sign was incorporated into the word.

SUBTRACT: Simply adding a - symbol SUBTRACTS the word into 2.

MULTIPLY: Adding the *multiply sign used on a calculator and dupplicating the letter 'P', gives the impression of the word mutiplied and duplicated.

PERCENTAGE: Dividing the letter 'N' into 3 sections and adding 2 dots with red tint creates the % sign.


Real Examples of Creative Typography:

Below are some creative typographical logos I have collected off the internet to illustrate creative typography existing in the creative world today.  These 10 are just a selection.  They are so simple. clean and clever that each of them requires no level explanation. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment