Tuesday 12 July 2011

Oldham Cotton Mill Photography


I was born and raised in a small town in the North West of England named Oldham, which I am still currently living. It is a regenerating town, neighbouring the City of Manchester. Historically during the 19th Century, Oldham rose as an international centre of textile and cotton manufacturer. It was a Textile Industrial Revolution boomtown. Oldham was the most productive cotton and textile town in the world. Unfortunately Oldham’s textile industry began to decline during the mid-20th Century. Oldham’s last mill closed in 1998. However there are many mills which still occupy the landscape, many have been rejuvenated and used as space for new businesses however others still remain abandoned and derelict.

I took my DSLR camera out and shot some quick snaps of 2 local cotton mills which are close by to my home. Here a some of the many shots I took of these great historic buildings of Oldham:

















No comments:

Post a Comment